New course will fuel the food economy

imagesThe food and drink manufacturing industry has welcomed the first entrants onto the country’s first ever MEng Food Engineering degree programme, offered by Sheffield Hallam University in the UK.

The four-year master’s level course which began Monday 29 September has been developed for the industry by the industry and will create a pool of specialist engineers equipped to meet the needs of the sector. The 15 students on the course will get the chance to gain the skills they need to become the engineers and leaders of tomorrow to position the UK as a global leader in food engineering.

Representatives from major employers in the food and drink manufacturing industry met the new students at a mentoring event to celebrate the launch of the University’s new degree. Held on Thursday 25 September, students got the chance to meet industry leaders and managers from companies such as United Biscuits, PepsiCo and KP Snacks, Mondel?z International and Nestlé UK who will be mentoring them on the four-year course and providing valuable industry expertise and work placements.

Ian Rigby, site engineering manager at PepsiCo UK and Ireland and one of the mentors on the programme, says, “This course comes after a three-year journey for PepsiCo. Back then we were really struggling to recruit high engineering talent to fill some of our roles.

“Our industry needs high-end talent to lead our engineering into the future. Enrolling on this course puts students in the shop window and this degree programme gives them the best chance of success in a competitive industry.

“I wish I could wind the clock back and do the degree myself.”

The course is the first degree dedicated entirely to the needs of the food and drink manufacturing sector. Many of the country’s leading food and drink companies have already signed up to take students on work placements, run guest lectures and to offer other support.

Related content