Ingredients

 

Britvic bounces back to form

Britvic has out-performed the soft drinks market in both stills and carbonates with strong total branded revenue growth, up 9.3% to £353.6m. Stills showed continued good growth with revenues up 8.5%, driven by a strong performance from Britvic’s leading brands such as the success of Fruit Shoot H2O, which further strengthened its position as the […]

NUTRA NEWS: Lutein awareness growth

Lutein and Health Awareness, a study commissioned by Kemin Health Europe, has revealed that lutein awareness has reached a new record level of 28%, with an impressive peak of 39% in Portugal, which doubled last year’s results on the same study. This year’s survey also reveals very marked lutein awareness levels in Germany of 37%, […]

,

Danone sells stake in Griesson

French food giant has sold its 40% stake in German biscuit and cake products maker Griesson de Beukelaer. The company’s Heinz Gries and CEO Andreas Land are now its only owners with 95% of Griesson de Beukelaer’s shares being owned by the Gries family, while Land holds the remaining 5%. The move is in keeping […]

Beef exports hit £100 million

British beef is back with a £100 million bang. In its first year back on international markets, beef exports from the UK have hit 60,000 tonnes in the first year – double the original 30,000 tonne estimate from the Meat and Livestock Commission. Of that figure over 70 per cent of the beef – around […]

,

NUTRA NEWS: BI Nutraceuticals adds super fruit extracts

BI Nutraceuticals, supplier of quality raw materials and custom blends for 30 years, has introduced acai and goji berry powder extracts for beverage applications. The new ingredients are all-natural extracts derived from not only the fruit of the berries, but the peel, where a majority of the beneficial nutrients are contained. “Demand for super fruit […]

,

Potatoes set to go upmarket

Branston Ltd, the UK’s leading supplier of quality fresh potatoes, has launched The Real Potato Co, an innovative direct to consumer brand set to shake up the UK potato category with its range of new varieties. The Real Potato Co will initially launch within 250 Tesco stores around the country with two exclusive varieties of […]

, ,

Tate & Lyle buys Hahn

Tate & Lyle, the global renewable ingredients company has acquired an 80% holding in German specialty food ingredients group G. C. Hahn & Co for £79 million (£116 million). Hahn is privately owned and was founded in 1848. Its headquarters and primary operations are located in Lübeck, Germany. It also has production operations in the […]

NUTRA NEWS: Provexis and Unilever join forces to develop heart health foods

Provexis, developer of scientifically-proven functional and medical foods, has entered into a long-term collaboration agreement with Unilever to develop a new format of its patented Fruitflow heart-health technology. Fruitflow is a patented natural extract from tomato which has been shown in human trials to reduce the propensity for aberrant blood clotting, typically associated with cardiovascular […]

,

NUTRA NEWS: Fully functional omega-3

Frutarom has launched omega-3 preparations for dairy products. The latest technology incorporates the health-promoting fatty acids into recipes without imparting any unpleasant aftertaste. Essential omega-3 fatty acids have long been added to a wide variety of foods – yet their processing remains a great challenge for the manufacturer. This is because commercially available isolated omega-3 […]

,

NUTRA NEWS: DTI grant awarded to functional ingredients firm

A UK-based company has been awarded an innovation grant by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) to fund its joint project worth £243,000 with the world-famous Institute of Food Research (IFR). Coressence, which is developing ingredients for the functional foods industry containing health giving nutrients from its own specially selected fruit varieties, has been […]

,

Nestle records strong growth

The Nestle Group reports strong organic growth of 7.4% with a positive contribution from all regions and businesses due to higher demand ahead of expected price increases. Food and beverage confirms momentum with 7.1% organic growth, fuelled by move towards nutrition, health and wellness. Nestle Nutrition on a like for like basis reached its 10% […]

,

Please refrain from smoking

The impact of the smoking ban – due to come into effect in England on 1 July 2007 – may not be as devastating as first thought. Whilst the fact that more than 50% of regular users of pubs are smokers is certainly a cause for worry, the bans do not seem to affect trade […]

Food and Drink Technology